Canon EOS 80D is a top-end cropped sensor DSLR. You can be assured of many engrossing hours of photography with it. However, you need the right accessories to take it to a whole new level. And this article is all about helping you find the best Canon EOS 80D accessories available in the market right now.
Before I begin, I wanted to clarify that I’ve tested a couple of accessories on my 80D for outdoor shoots. I went over each one meticulously. I tested them under every possible condition to find which ones I can recommend easily. And finally, I am here with the list of my top picks.
No matter how big a kit you have, there is always space for a little more. Why not add to it and satisfy your passion for photography. I made sure that nothing on my list is too costly, and I always make sure that each product I suggest on CameraKen, offers great value for money.
- Best Canon EOS 80D Accessories in 2021
- 1. Vanguard Alta Pro Tripod with SBH-100 Ball Head
- 2. AODELAN Shutter Release Timer Remote Control
- 3. Fotga LCD Dual Battery Charger
- 4. 67mm Lens Filter Kit with Case & Microfiber Cloth
- 5. Veatree 67mm Lens Hood Set with Microfiber Cloth
- 6. PCTC Tempered Glass Screen Protectors (Pack of 3)
- 7. Selens 32-inch 5-in-1 Round Reflector with Handle
- 8. Lexar 633x 128GB SDXC UHS-I SD Card
- Frequently Asked Questions
Best Canon EOS 80D Accessories in 2021
At some point, it becomes an absolute necessity to invest in good camera gear. Accessories like extra batteries and memory cards are, of course, top requirements. However, as you start experimenting and using the Canon 80D regularly, you would crave for other accessories like filters, tripods, etc. And hence, I’ve reviewed each of such items for you to go for:
The Vanguard Alta Pro Tripod is a combination that impressed us to no end. It is compatible with the DSLR Cameras of Sony, Nikon, and Canon. The head can be detached from the legs and used on another tripod and vice versa.
Its 3 section Aluminum alloy legs, which measure 26mm, can adjust up to 25, 50, and 80-degree angles easily. The central column, which is the multi-angle central column, allows the head of the camera to go underneath. This is helpful in extreme low-angle photography. The legs have metal points in them, so it is easy to dig them into the ground.
The orange tab on the tripod locks the camera and prevents it from moving around, even when at an upside-down angle. It comes with two quick-release plates that can be hand tightened, and the tripod is easily movable. While using it, I saw the center column has a hook from which a bag or any other object can be hung.
- Lightweight and very easy to be carried outdoors
- Very sturdy in quality, can be taken to rugged terrains also
- The adjustable center column allows photography at all angles
- Inexpensive to own and value for money
- It does not have carbon fiber
- Slightly heavier compared to other tripods
- Legs not sturdy when fully extended
Is it not wonderful to be away from the camera, sitting in the shade, and release the shutter for continuous burst to capture a touchdown or a leaping gazelle? That is what you can easily do with a wireless trigger that releases the shutter from as far away as 100 feet.
The AODELAN Shutter Release Timer Remote Control is a complete in terms of a feature-laden product. The first two parts of this wireless shutter release are a Timer and a Receiver.
The best part of this wireless shutter release is that it is compatible with a wide range of cameras and, therefore, can be used by most people. WTR 2 technology in the wireless shutter release timer, time-lapses are now made easy.
The Wireless Shutter Release Timer Remote Control works well and gives the benefits of everything wireless. However, the Receiver can be connected to the camera and the Timer, which controls the Receiver.
It primarily has four modes for the Shutter Release Control. These include Single shooting, 2-second delay modes, Continuous Shooting, and bulb exposure. It also has five settings for timer shooting, which was a delight to use. These include delay exposure, long exposure, interval, number, and BKLN.
One of the best modes is the BKLN, which allows a range of photos to be taken with changing exposure.
- Easy hardware setup
- Easy to use and learn
- Perfect for shutter release
- Small and very well sized to carry anywhere
- Instruction Manual is limited
- Need 4 AAA batteries, two in each unit
Nothing is more annoying than running out of battery power. Therefore, a charger is essential, especially when you’re filming hunts or camping or into a trip when you are away from home and can’t reach for a spare battery.
The Fotga Dual Battery Charger is a modern device that comes with a main AC power chord. The best part of this Fotga LCD Dual Battery Charger is that as soon as you plug it in and insert the batteries, it gauges the charge of the batteries and starts charging accordingly.
The dual LCD charger runs on various modes like ‘L’ and ‘H.’ The former is for slow charging and keeps the battery healthy and working for an extended period, whereas the latter will help in charging the batteries faster when you are in a hurry. The device is equipped with a built-in microchip that stops charging when the battery level is full.
The charger comes with an extra USB port with which you can charge other devices as well, which includes power banks, tablets, and mobile phones. There are various modes of charging, like CC/CV, which makes the device score high on the utility-scale.
- It charges in 40 minutes with different modes of charging
- You can see the amount of charge in the batteries, while you charge them
- It is a reasonably economical option
- It is quite handy for professional photographers
- The LED display is not very good
- The charger does not supply enough voltage at certain instances
The 67mm Lens Filter Kit is the answer to any photographer’s woes. After using it, I can positively say that it has been made to make photography easy for you.
Priced at $19.99, it contains various features like the UV Filter, CPL Polarizer, Neutral Density ND4 for Camera Lens. Adding to that, it also has a filter pouch.
The UV Filter is your one-stop solution to protect your camera lens from harmful agents like moisture, dust, fingerprints, and scratches. It helps your lens have a long life.
The CPL Polarizer helps in getting rid of unnecessary reflections of all kinds. Whether by light, water, or glass. It makes the vision of the lens get ahead of haze and gives picture clarity.
The Altura Photo Professional Photography Filter also has a filter pouch, which is padded in a way to make your traveling storage safe and secure, without hurting the lens of your camera. Adding to this is the Microfiber cleaning cloth meant for the lens, which effortlessly cleans lenses without leaving any scratches and cleans any dust or moisture on your lens.
The ND4 Filter adds just the right touch of neutral shade to your photos and reduces the range of light passing through the lens.
- Compatible with lenses of all types having a 67mm front filter
- Filters can be removed easily
- CPL is of high quality
- Comes with Digital Goja 90-Day Guarantee
- The filter sometimes refracts light
- Polarizer can rob your pictures of sharpness
A Lens hood is that one essential piece of equipment that any camera owner must have in order to protect their lenses from being smashed.
Veatree has come up with a convenient Set of 67mm Lens Hood. The set retails for about $12.99. Apart from the 67mm lens hood set, Veatree also has lens hood sets for 49mm, 52mm, 55mm, 58mm, 72mm, and 77mm lenses.
67mm lens hood set includes:
- A 67mm reversible tulip flower lens hood whose unique design helps quick detaching and mounting. There are two modes for using- normal and reverse.
- One 67mm center pinch lens cap for the lens protection,
- A 67mm 3 stages collapsible rubber lens hood has a 3 in 1 design for usage with standard, wide-angle, and telephoto zoom lenses. The hood also prevents lens flare and protects the lens from bumps and shocks.
- A 6”x7” (15cm x 18cm) premium microfiber cleaning cloth to clean the delicate lenses with.
- A filter thread which allows you to pair the hoods with lens cap and filters.
The lens hood set has a three-staged collapsible design. The hoods collapse entirely for macro photography and wide-angle shots. The lens hoods are designed in a way that facilitates easy and compact storage.
- Provides extra protection to the lenses
- Easy and compact storage
- Tight and secure fit with the lenses
- The tulip hood (specifically) can be a bit difficult to detach
Getting scratches on your camera LCD monitor can be a nightmare. PCTC is one brand which comes to your rescue with their super durable, ultra-thin, and shatter-proof optical tempered glass screen protector. The PCTC Screen Protector allows 99.99% HD clarity.
It is crystal clear and has an incomparable light transmission. The glass has a thickness of only 0.33mm; therefore, you can hardly feel it on your monitor. The application of this tempered glass protector is fairly simple as it has electrostatic absorption, which makes the glass stick to the screen without the need for any adhesive.
Furthermore, it fits perfectly on the LCD monitors of camera models such as Canon EOS 90D, 80D, 70D. The tempered glass comes in a pack of three, which is useful as it can be easily replaced without the need to purchase again and again.
The tempered glass fully covers the screen and therefore ensures full protection. The glasses do not retain fingerprints. They are scratch-resistant as well as waterproof. The glasses also protect the camera screens while shooting in the rain and prevent unnecessary scratches on the screen.
The glasses come in an elegant wooden box with one wet wipe, one dry wipe, and one dust-absorbent wipe to clear the camera screen thoroughly before the application of the glass protector. The package also contains guide stickers to make the application more convenient.
- Glare proof
- Does not impact color/brightness
- Does not accumulate dust on the corners
- Does not have impressive touch-screen capabilities
There is no way light can even reach all the nooks and crannies. That is why reflectors are so crucial inside a studio or in the garden. Position them carefully, and the scene will be evenly lit.
The Selens 32 5-in-1 Round Reflector comes in compact circular packaging and is priced at $17.99. The carry bag is not only easy to handle but also has a functional zipper, with a teether of great size and quality, which is always an added benefit.
The Round Reflector has a unique raised grain design, which contributes to its long, durable life. It has two sides when you open it primarily, one black side and one is silver. The silver side mainly helps in improving the exposure of the photograph.
It further has two more zippers on either side, which further opens up to expose the other white reflectors. This not only makes carrying a single reflector easier but also removes the hassle of carrying several reflectors for outdoor photography.
The Selens Reflector also has a wonderful gold cover, which is most needed when you want to add a warm texture to your photographs. Another useful feature of this reflector is that it can be folded into a small, compact size by pushing the handles in two opposite directions.
Similarly, it is accompanied by a black cover to improve the color saturation in pictures, which come out as too sharp making the colors look unnatural.
- Very sturdy and high in quality
- It is compact and perfect for traveling
- Has a firm handle on either side, making holding the reflector at any angle comfortable
- The 5-in-1 filters help in countering any problem related to lighting, anywhere
- Slightly heavy
- White reflector might have stains on it
While looking for memory cards for Canon 80D, the two most important features are the read and the write speed of the cards. The Lexar 633x 128GB SDXC UHS-I Card is loaded with 128 Gigabytes of memory.
The 633x SD cards have a read speed of 95 MBPS. The 633x card is an updated version of the previous 600x SD cards. The 633x 128 Gb card has a write speed of 45 MBPS, similar to the previous 600x version. There are 5 memory options available in the 633x SDXC- 16 GB, 32 GB, 64 GB, 128 GB and 256 GB. The maximum read speed is 95 MBPS.
These cards allow capturing of 4K or higher resolution videos in cameras such as GoPro and Insta 360 one. This card, with its high write speed of 45 MBPS, eliminates buffering of videos while shooting. The higher read speed allows faster pulling of data from the card.
- Can withstand extreme temperatures from 13 F to 185 F
- Has the built-in write-protect switch to avoid accidental deletion of content
- Allows faster transfer of files from the SD cards to personal computers
- Backed by technical support
- Have a slightly lesser read speed (88 MBPS) and write speed (35 MBPS) than claimed
Frequently Asked Questions
There are many tripods compatible with Canon 80D, but if you ask me which one is best? I’d definitely put my finger towards the Vanguard Alta Pro Tripod . It comes with an SBH-100 ball head and is also compatible with other Canon, Nikon, and even Sony DSLRs.
SLR cameras have changed from film to digital, but the lenses are still fragile. In fact, modern lenses are more vulnerable due to a complex system of AF motors and image stabilization. The biggest problem with lenses is that the front can, by accident, scrape. A UV filter is to prevent damage to the front of the lens. And hence, I would definitely recommend buying this accessory for your Canon 80D.
A battery grip holds several extra battery slots. That means you can use your camera and flash for longer. Besides, the 80D is quite small and can be hard to grip at times. The battery grip extends the size of the DSLR body and is designed to give you a firmer grip.
For indoor shoots, a prime lens is all that you need. For outdoor photography, you should cover a focal length of 15-300 mm. It is best done with an 18-200mm and a 50-300 mm lens pair. This allows you to have complete control over any scenery or objects in the foreground or far away.
I hope you like my favorite accessories to use with Canon EOS 80D. If you’re still confused about which ones you must get to make the most out of your Canon 80D, here you go:
- If I have to select one from the already narrowed down list of 8 best accessories for Canon 80D, it is undoubtedly the Vanguard Alta Pro Tripod with SBH-100 Ball Head.
- The runner-up choice for my favorite accessories would be the Shutter Release Timer Remote Control from AODELAN. It’s pretty handy and lightweight at the same time.
- If you often run out of battery, the Fotga LCD Dual Battery Charger should be lying in your backpack. It’s a very handy charger, and I loved using it with my 80D.
- If you’re in search of a high-speed memory card, then Lexar 128GB SDXC UHS-I is an awesome purchase. It is fast and can read at 95MB/s. Moreover, 128GB is enough to store thousands of JPGs and is really cheap.
- Lastly, to protect your camera lens, the 67mm Lens Filter Kit is a must-have accessory. Altura is a well-known manufacturer, and a top-grade filter kit from them is a perfect part of any photographer’s kit.
At the end of the day, it all boils down to your expertise handling the Canon 80D and your day-to-day workflow with it. If you use it for outdoor assignments, get a good screen protector, a hood, and a good bag. While if it is average, I would suggest you at least invest in an extra set of batteries and a memory card.