If you bought the Nikon D5500, you made an investment in a wonderful DSLR. It is capable of spectacular photography, but you would need great accessories to help you.
From lens filters to a flash, you need to have a whole host of gear for that perfect shot. But the accessories are not cheap. That is why it is essential to make sure that you buy the ideal stuff to help your hobby.
We have sought out the best accessories that will help you extract the maximum value from your Nikon. Our extensive tests have helped us narrow down the list to ten must-have accessories.
|Image||Product Name||Type||Check Price|
|Nikon 27126 EN-EL 14A Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery||Rechargeable Battery|
|Neewer Professional Vertical Battery Grip Work||Battery Grip|
|Camera Screen Protector Compatible Nikon Cameras||Screen Protector|
|MegaGear MG1268 Camera Case||Camera Case|
|Altura Photo Pro Flash Kit AP-N1001||Flash Kit|
|ESDDI Camera Tripod||Tripod|
|Camera Neck Strap JJC DSLR Neck Shoulder Belt Strap||Shoulder Strap|
|NY’s Elite Performance 64GB Bundle Micro SD card||SD Card with Card Reader|
|Lastolite (LL LS2430JM) Joe McNally Ezybox Speed-Lite 2 Plus||Flash Gun|
|52MM Complete Lens Filter Accessory Kit||Filter Kit|
- Best Nikon D5500 Accessories To Buy In 2021
- 1. Nikon 27126 EN-EL 14A Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery (Grey)
- 2. Neewer Professional Vertical Battery Grip Work with EN-EL14A Rechargeable Battery for Nikon D5600 and D5500 DSLR Camera (Battery Not Included)
- 3. Camera Screen Protector Compatible Nikon D5600 D5500 D5300, AFUNTA 2 Pack Anti-Scratch Tempered Glass
- 4. MegaGear MG1268 Nikon D3500, D5600, D3400 (18-105), D5500, D3300, D5300, D5200, D3200, D5100, D3100 Ultra Light Neoprene Camera Case with Carabiner, Black
- 5. Altura Photo Professional Flash Kit for NIKON DSLR - Includes: I-TTL Flash (AP-N1001), Wireless Flash Trigger Set and Accessories
- 6. ESDDI Camera Tripod 55''/140cm Portable Lightweight Travel Tripod for Camera with Phone Holder and Quick Release Plate for Canon Nikon Sony Samsung Olympus with Carrying Bag Maximum Load Capacity 11lb
- 7. Camera Neck Strap JJC DSLR Neck Shoulder Belt Strap for Canon T7 T6 T5 7D 6D 5D T7i T6s T6i T5i SL2 SL1 80D 77D Nikon D3400 D3300 D3200 D5600 D5500 D7500 D7200 D850 D810 D500 D5 D4s Sony A99 A900,etc
- 8. PNY Elite Performance 64GB Bundle SDXC Class 10 UHS-I, U3 up to 95 MB/s Memory Card (P-SDX64U395-GE) with Everything But Stromboli (TM) 3.0 SD/Micro Card Reader
- 9. Lastolite (LL LS2430JM) Joe McNally Ezybox Speed-Lite 2 Plus
- 10. 52MM Complete Lens Filter Accessory Kit (UV, CPL, FLD, ND2, ND4, ND8 and Macro Lens Set) for Nikon D3300 D3200 D3100 D3000 D5300 D5200 D5100 D5000 D7100 D7000 DSLR Camera
- Buying Guide for Nikon D5500 Accessories
- FAQs regarding Nikon D5500 Accessories
Best Nikon D5500 Accessories To Buy In 2021
I researched the internet and checked possibly every accessory from multiple brand that are compatible with this camera. I also talked the experts in the field who use D5500 and noted their valuable recommendations. Hence the gear discussed here is the result of brutal research and testing.
The Nikon 27126 EN-EL 14A Rechargeable Li-Ion Battery is compatible with all Nikon DSLRs. It works especially great with the Nikon D5100 or D5200 over others. These cameras already come with upgraded firmware, so the battery works perfectly without any stutters.
For some DSLRs though, you will have to update the firmware if you want the battery to work. Otherwise, there is a good chance of the camera glitching due to the wrong battery input.
We have personally experienced it with Nikon D3400. It has an added software that doesn’t accept battery from outside sources.
The battery relies on the MH-24 charger. You will need it while charging, although if you have a Nikon camera, you likely have the charger as well. When calibration is necessary, your camera will get a notification on the screen due to the signal from the battery.
There seems to be confusion among customers whether the battery is a knockoff. We decided to verify the claim with Nikon. The result came back satisfactory, and they concluded that the OS Elec was properly intact.
We would highly recommend buying OEM Nikon batteries rather than generic ones. Though the cost can be a little troubling, it’s long-lasting charge is definitely worth it. We have heard horror stories of where the flash stopped working due to generic battery or about messed up colors, so it’s better to pay well once than to purchase something over and over again!
- Lasts longer than the original EN-EL 14A that comes with Nikon camera
- It can work for a long time on a single charge
- Perfect for Nikon D5100 camera
- Costlier than an average battery
- A slight change in color has been detected
2. Neewer Professional Vertical Battery Grip Work with EN-EL14A Rechargeable Battery for Nikon D5600 and D5500 DSLR Camera (Battery Not Included)
When we compare Neewer Professional Vertical Battery Grip Work to regular battery grips, we would call this inexpensive. However, the low price doesn’t affect its quality at all. It comes with an attached shutter release button, which is a functional feature. You will be happy to know that the cable for the shutter release doesn’t hamper the movement of the photographer in any way while they are shooting.
On the material front, the body is plastic with rubber grips. It is a solid grip, though, and doesn’t in any way feel like a cheap product.
For photographers who have Nikon D5500, you’re well aware of how small the body is. We have found that using the grip helps the body feel more balanced, and it is easier to work with. The attachment is comfortable and looks nice on the body.
If you don’t find the vertical shutter of any use and prefer the camera’s shutter, we imagine you will find the vertical release shutter cable a tad annoying. It doesn’t change the fact that the grip gives the camera the balance it naturally lacks. You will have something sturdier to grasp on to while shooting. The battery life is extended this way as well.
- Solid Material
- Comfortable grip
- Additional trigger
- Vertical Shutter release
- Lacks Control exposure button
- Doesn’t have a button for changing the focus area
3. Camera Screen Protector Compatible Nikon D5600 D5500 D5300, AFUNTA 2 Pack Anti-Scratch Tempered Glass
In, we found two protector screens, dust removal stickers, guide stickers, a drying wipe, and a cleaning wipe. So, everything you will need to attach the protector to your camera screen screen is provided.
We have seen a common complaint amongst customers that one corner of the protector doesn’t fit properly. We experienced the same problem at first. What we noticed is that while one corner isn’t going down, the other is actually over the rim. The fit for the screen protector is extremely precise. You will have to make sure every corner end fits within the camera screen, and only then would the application be correct.
Once we applied the screen protector correctly, we found the surface looks so smooth, that it’s hard to tell there is a protector there. Before you position the protector over the camera screen, give both the camera screen and the protector a gentle wipe. The package already contains everything you need. Once you’re confident you’ve cleaned it sufficiently, you can peel off the backing.
You should know not to touch the part of the back has been peeled off. We have ruled it as one of the reasons other people couldn’t get the corner to stick correctly, as well. The adhesion can get messed up if it comes in contact with your fingers.
For a touch screen camera, it’s best if you have a screen protector. Otherwise, dust, oil, scratches are bound to become a regular thing on your LCD screen.
- Delivered in a handy box
- Smooth surface
- Doesn’t interfere with the touch screen
- Quite inexpensive
- Shipping might be slow
- A bit short vertically
4. MegaGear MG1268 Nikon D3500, D5600, D3400 (18-105), D5500, D3300, D5300, D5200, D3200, D5100, D3100 Ultra Light Neoprene Camera Case with Carabiner, BlackMegaGear MG1268 has been specifically tailored to fit certain Nikon cameras such as D3300, D5300, D5600, to name a few.
The product is just what is stated in the description. The well-padded protective case is quite soft to the touch. The material used is neoprene. Personally, we like the design of the case. It’s a tight fit for the body of the camera. There is a zipped compartment on the back where you can keep cables and extra sim cards and batteries.
While the camera case can accompany the Nikon 18 to 85 mm lens, the short zoom lens of the 55 to 200 mm can’t be fit inside it. It does an excellent job of protecting the camera against minimum water spray and dust.
This is the perfect alternative to bulky camera cases when you’re looking to travel light for a day. It took up minimal space inside our bag. If you don’t have a bag with you and simply plan on carrying it around in hand, you will be happy to know it’s a lightweight case.
When we went out to take pictures with it, we found the carabiner loop included with the case to be a convenient accessory. We could hang the bag of our pocket when we were taking pictures with the camera.
- Extra small zipped compartment
- Protection against water and dirt
- Flexible and Lightweight
- Won’t protect full outpour
- Long lenses don’t fit inside
5. Altura Photo Professional Flash Kit for NIKON DSLR - Includes: I-TTL Flash (AP-N1001), Wireless Flash Trigger Set and Accessories
One of the things that caught our attention when purchasing Altura Photo Pro Flash Kit AP-N1001 is that it came with both wired and wireless trigger mode. This is a significant advantage in exposure photography.
When we got the package, we were surprised to see how short the instruction manual was. However, it contained key details and had proper illustrations. If you’re a tech-savvy person, setting it up shouldn’t be a problem at all. Even if you aren’t, you should still be able to use it without any problem. The interface is fairly simple to handle.
The S2 mode allows you to trigger the camera’s shutter with the wireless shutter, which in turn triggers AP-N1001’s flasher from the camera’s flash. The results came out satisfactory for us.
From shot to shot, it takes about 4 secs. That might be a little slow according to some, but for us, it worked out perfectly and didn’t seem much of a problem.
If we connect the wireless trigger to the camera, the trigger works super fast. The soft-touch button activates the autofocus. If we press it hard, it also takes pictures. The flash has multiple configuration settings. For high exposure, we certainly had to experiment a lot to get the right setting.
The package also came with a nice compact case. It doesn’t have enough space to carry the trigger, but you can carry batteries, wires, and such in it. The end result pleased us immensely. The trigger is a great haul considering the price.
- Good battery life
- Batteries are included for the wireless trigger set
- Easy to use
- On the inexpensive side
- The base plate is made of cheap plastic
- The flash is a bit blue toned
6. ESDDI Camera Tripod 55''/140cm Portable Lightweight Travel Tripod for Camera with Phone Holder and Quick Release Plate for Canon Nikon Sony Samsung Olympus with Carrying Bag Maximum Load Capacity 11lb
We honestly didn’t think we would find the tripod to be this much of a haul considering the price range. However, ESDDI Camera Tripod holds up more than enough of its part of the bargain and even more.
You shouldn’t face any problem while trying to figure out the mechanism of the tripod. Even without using any manual, the setup is super easy for anyone willing to experiment with it a little.
When the tripod is folded up, it is a compact one. You can fit it in any small bag. Carrying it around isn’t much of a chore, either as the equipment is lightweight. There is a little handle attached to the tripod, which makes the matter of carrying it around easier even without a bag.
While we won’t recommend using the tripod on a windy mountain area where it is likely to get knocked out, it can do a fantastic job in the safety of a studio. Though the package included a weight hook from where you can hand something heavy to keep the weight of the tripod steady in windy places, we don’t think it’s a good idea to bring it out where the air is too strong.
The company didn’t forget to include a bag for storage, but it’s not of the best quality. If it’s not of much importance to you, there certainly won’t be any problem for you to use it.
- Lightweight and Sturdy
- Additional weight hook
- Made of Plastic
- Too light
7. Camera Neck Strap JJC DSLR Neck Shoulder Belt Strap for Canon T7 T6 T5 7D 6D 5D T7i T6s T6i T5i SL2 SL1 80D 77D Nikon D3400 D3300 D3200 D5600 D5500 D7500 D7200 D850 D810 D500 D5 D4s Sony A99 A900,etc
If you’ve been into photography for a while, you already understand how hard it is to carry a camera around your neck. If the camera strap isn’t the right fit and not comfortable enough, you can end up having to deal with a lot of neck and shoulder pain.
Fortunately, JJC’s Camera neck strap seems to work better than the ones we got with the original Nikon camera. It’s heavily padded to ensure you don’t experience any irritation nor discomfort in your neck.
The clips are easy to attach and release. There are times when we avoid adjusting our neck strap because of how much of a pain it is to get the clips right. Since the opening and closing is easy, the neck strap made its spot on the top choice for us.
The anti-slip design has also been adopted in this case. When we’re carrying the camera around, the camera must be stable. The design ensures that it doesn’t come off our neck.
There are two small hooks you can use to attach it to the eyelet. You can adjust the length of the strap according to your preference, with the help of the two buckles.
Alternatively, you can use the neck strap as a hand strap by connecting the two ends of the clips instead of attaching it to the camera.
- Padded Neck
- Durable Neoprene
- A little heavy
- Small strap
8. PNY Elite Performance 64GB Bundle SDXC Class 10 UHS-I, U3 up to 95 MB/s Memory Card (P-SDX64U395-GE) with Everything But Stromboli (TM) 3.0 SD/Micro Card Reader
For photography lovers who have a habit of taking multiple pictures rapidly at one go, PNY’s Elite Performance 64GB Bundle Micro SD card will undoubtedly appeal to you.
You’ve certainly gone through your fair share of experiences with cards that take forever to save a photo. This is simply because the reading speed of the card is too slow compared to the image size it has to save.
Now, the PNY SD card has 95 MB/S as its upper limit. While it rarely reaches that speed boost, it does deliver high speed, mostly staying around the 93 MB/S range. The writing speed is comparatively way slower, which doesn’t make it a good option for a phone OS. On a camera though, where its sole job is to save recordings of videos and photos, this is a perfect fit.
The card is compatible with most phones and camera brands, but it does seem to have a problem with Sony. As Sony cameras don’t easily accept third party devices, it would be advisable for you to check compatibility with Sony beforehand. Sometimes firmware upgrades are put out by the companies to correct these issues, so you can look for those as well.
We’re generally quite happy with the purchase for the price. For us, we weren’t necessarily looking for super speed. We just wanted to save a few minutes of our time wasted on saving the pictures and videos.
- Good price
- Smooth processing
- Quite fast
- Doesn’t live up to speed promise
- Only 30-day warranty
Priced at $ 158, the Lastolite (LL LS2430JM) Joe McNally Ezybox Speed-Lite 2 Plus is your ideal companion for outdoor photography and shoots. This softbox is lined with the white interior, offering better diffusion that makes your photographs softer and realistic.
More often than not, the lighting is not perfect in an outdoor shoot, but this product has you covered. By picking this softbox grid, you not only control the amount of light but also adjust it comfortably to make your photos look natural as if shot in sunlight.
The price point may be somewhat steep, but given the sturdy build quality and professional-looking photos, it is an investment for life. Also, when you are packing off to a trip, this fits snugly in your backpack. Even when it is not in use, you would not feel tired of lugging it around. It weighs just 2.8 pounds.
You can assemble and disassemble it easily, making it a great travel companion. The sturdy velcro is easy to fasten and is guaranteed to give you amazing photos even when it is windy, or light is scarce. The plastic bracket is well built to hold the flash and can be mounted easily on a tripod.
The ezybox comes in measures 24”x 24”, has a shoe mark II bracket and a carry bag. Despite its small size, it creates beautiful portraits and landscape pictures.
- Easy to set up
- Lightweight -weighs just 2.8 pounds
- Foldable-just about fits anywhere
- Steep price point
- Plastic bracket
10. 52MM Complete Lens Filter Accessory Kit (UV, CPL, FLD, ND2, ND4, ND8 and Macro Lens Set) for Nikon D3300 D3200 D3100 D3000 D5300 D5200 D5100 D5000 D7100 D7000 DSLR Camera
Whether you want to click a roaring waterfall or a tranquil lake on a sunny afternoon, these lenses will get you the perfect shot. Priced at $39.98, these 52MM Complete Lens Filter Accessory Kit make an excellent addition to your photography equipment.
The 10 filters are distributed among three packets falling under the category of UV (Ultra-violet filters), CPL (Circular polarizing filter) and FLD (Fluorescent filter). These come with the 4x macro lenses of +1,+2,+4+10, which are doubly threaded to add multiple filters.
The UV lens gives you professional-looking pictures of landscapes. The sides are notched so that it filters adequate light required for your photographs. You can also stack the lenses one on top of the other to capture more detailed pictures, and the numbered macro lenses make it easy to get the required macro lens number.
There is no doubt that by shelling a few more bucks, you will get better quality filters, so the beautiful images captured with these lenses are worth the price. Weighing 1.15 pounds and measuring 8x8x2.4 inches, you can safely tuck it away in the case it came with and put it in your luggage or carry it around comfortably.
- Great value for money
- Professional-looking photos
- Comes in a snug carry pouch making it easy for travelers
- Not ideal for night photography
- Thin filters can be slightly difficult to handle
Recommended for you:
Buying Guide for Nikon D5500 Accessories
- Tripod – It may seem the simplest to buy, but it has to be steady and reliable. The slightest shake of the tripod makes a picture blurry. Most tripods can swivel around 360° to allow you to focus the camera as you want.
- Camera Bag – How will you carry all of the lenses and filters without a good quality, reliable bag. The best camera bags are made of nylon and mesh and protect the camera and lenses against all types of damage.
- Battery Pack – Nothing can be as frustrating as running out of battery in the middle of the day. An extra battery pack can hold 2-4 extra batteries and keep your camera and flash running several hours.
FAQs regarding Nikon D5500 Accessories
1. What is the most important accessory?
A filter kit is the most necessary accessory to have. Color filters allow you to emphasize certain shades, and a UV filter protects the lens from bumps, bruises, and scratches. They are also useful since it means you spend less time hunched over your laptop in post-production.
2. Can I use the same accessories with other DSLR cameras?
A tripod and bag can be used, of course, to carry a camera of different makes and models. Flash may or may not fit another manufacturer’s camera. It is the filter kit that would need to be changed. Filters are available in several different diameters, and unless both cameras have matching diameter and lenses, the same set cannot be used.
3. Is a diffuser needed?
One of the problems with even the most expensive flash is that the light is focused and very harsh due to its intensity. A diffuser is a cover that fits on the top part of the flash and spreads the light more evenly around the subject.
4. What is TTL metering for flash?
TTL means through-the-lens. It is activated by half depressing the shutter button. During autofocus, the flashgun lights up for an instant, and the sensor measures the intensity of light. TTL flash is more expensive but considered as a safer alternative to manual metering.
5. Should I buy a card reader?
A memory card reader is essential for transferring data from an SD card to a laptop. Of course, it can be done using a cable, but that would mean going into camera menu settings to erase the card. It is easier to swap out a card and use a second one while you decide which images should be transferred to your laptop.
We tested a lot of gear for a month. It is hard to arrive at a decision, but the first among equals is certainly the MegaGear MG1268 Light Neoprene Camera Case. Flexible and very light, it protects the camera and lens from even a heavy fall due to the cushioning effect.
The Altura Photo Professional Flash Kit was a close second. It is TTL metered and also has a wireless remote trigger. The flash is robust and works on four AA batteries for several hundred shots.
Whatever you choose, just remember to consider your usage and budget. Other than that you can buy any of the gear discussed in this article. Each of them is a Nikon D5500 compatible accessory.